Are you stuck in an exercise plateau? You started out great with your fitness and nutrition program – lost a few pounds, toned up those muscles, and felt energized! Then, all of a sudden, no more results!
Hitting an exercise plateau can be frustrating or contribute to your lack of motivation to continue your fitness program. Exercise plateaus happen to everyone and are natural. So don’t give up yet! Take a minute to understand how to blast through an exercise plateau and get back to making process with your fitness program.
Part of the body’s natural process to hit a plateau. The body is always trying to regulate itself. You need to break habits from time to time.This is why most training programs are broken down into these phases.
- Foundation Phase – builds base fitness
- Adaptive Phase – master the movement
- Growth Phase – make accelerated progress
- Recovery Phase – back off and recover from the stress of the previous phases.
Exercise plateaus can happen when you stay in one phase for too long or you don’t push yourself hard enough. Here are strategies to break out of your exercise plateau:
- Back off – common reasons for a plateau are over-training.
- Streamline your diet – try eating super strict for a week and see if that helps.
- Try adding or subtracting calories everyday – you may have miscalculated your calorie intake everyday.
If you need more information, be sure to check the Team Beachbody message boards.
Take a look at the video below to find out what fitness expert Steve Edwards has to say about avoiding exercise plateaus.