Are you wondering if portion control containers really work for weight loss? Losing weight is a matter of eating less food with healthier content.
Although there are hundreds of diets available to choose from, one of the most challenging aspects is amount of food you are eating.
When I first started using portion control containers from the 21 Day Fix program, I was shocked at how much food I was eating previously, compared to how much fits in the container!
For example, I was eating twice the amount of pasta for my size and desired weight. The food portion containers helped me to understand the correct amount of food to eat.
When you use portion control food containers, there is no need to count calories. I like that alot! I never had a lot of patience for calorie counting and portion control containers eliminate that when you follow the plan.
Overall, the containers helped to educate me on how much food I should be eating!
If you want to lose weight and gain a good understanding of how portion control works with the 21 Day Fix program, keep reading.
How the Food Portion Containers work with 21 Day Fix
I like when things are simple and easy to follow! That is exactly what you get with the 21 Day Fix portion control containers. You’ll get 6 colors that correspond to six different food types as follows:
- Green Container – Vegetable. These can be cooked or raw, sliced or chopped. Some examples include lettuces, kale, squash, peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Go ahead and really squish the lettuce into there to create a voluminous salad!
- Purple Container – Fruits. Berries can easily fit into this container as can grapes and cherries, but you’ll want to cut larger fruits like watermelon, or fruits with pits, like peaches.
- Red Container – Protein. Fill it with chicken breast, yogurt, eggs, tofu, or shellfish. For some of the other protein, consult the food list in your guide.
- Yellow Container – Carbs and Starches. This is where you’ll fit in foods like rice, beans, sweet potatoes, and whole-grain pasta into your diet. For foods that don’t easily fit into your container such as waffles and tortillas, the portion amounts are in your 21 Day Fix guide.
- Blue Container – Healthy Fats. Mashed avocado, nuts, cheese, and hummus are just a few of the things you can put in this container.
- Orange Container – Seeds and Dressings. It is the smallest and is used for calorie-dense foods like seeds, olives, coconut, and 21 Day Fix-approved dressings.
How to Use the Portion Control Containers
No calorie counting is one of my favorite things about using food portion containers. However, you still need to understand about how many calories you need per day. If you are using the 21 Day Fix program, you can turn to page 4 to figure that out.
After you understand what your daily caloric intake should be, turn to page 19. There you’ll see a simple chart that shows you the number of color containers you should be eating per day based on your caloric range.
You can easily mix and match foods together in a container if you don’t want to eat just one type of food. For example, you can put carrots and spinach together in the green container to fill it. It still is equal to one green container of food.
You can choose to eat out of the food containers or not. They are great to take with you and maybe it’s convenient to eat out of them. On the other hand, I prefer to eat off plates so I portion out my food and then put it on my plate.
I like that too because then I am seeing exactly what my correct portion is on the plate.
Why the 21 Day Fix Portion Control Containers Work
Here’s some good reasons behind why these food portion containers work so well.
- No calorie counting. Counting containers is so much easier than counting calories for every bite you eat!
- You will get enough food daily. When I started eating healthy food, I was not only full but felt more satisfied without craving more. Have you noticed that when you eat junk food you want more, more, more? That’s because there is no nutritional value or volume in junk food. Eating healthy foods in the correct portions will help you feel full!
- It’s simple and practical. Learning about the correct portions and moderation is what portion control is all about. It helps you be more aware of exactly how much food you are putting in your body. In fact, after using the portion control containers for a few weeks, I was able to understand for myself how many fruits, proteins, vegetables and healthy fats I needed to eat daily.
Did you get some value from this article about food portion containers and weight loss? If you know anyone that can benefit from reading it, please do share in social media.